Your Cockapoo's Health

Cockapoo Breeding

Training and Bonding

Cockapoo Grooming

Chit Chat

Cockapoo Meets

Site Discussion

Notices

Cockapoo Talk Any general talk about cockapoos can go here.
Thread Description:Want a dog? Allergies, eczema, asthma??

Old 08-29-2012, 11:41 AM
(Karen)
Super Moderator

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Number of Cockapoos: 1
Cockapoo Age(s): 4 years.
Karma Points: 102
wellerfeller will become famous soon enoughwellerfeller will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Poodle crosses and allergies.

Cockapoos and allergies, eczema, asthma etc

I have decided to write this down as I feel that cockapoos and poodle crosses are being unfairly pushed as the dog to get if you have allergies. While symptoms may well be less with this type of dog, I think it is unfair if allergies are already present and absolutely cannot be tolerated should they flare up, that dogs are being bought in to a family home and if things don't work out they are getting moved on.
If you are looking for a puppy and have anyone in your family with allergies towards dogs, please please think very long and hard about getting a dog if the allergies are not able to be lived with and treated.

Do not assume, what ever you may read on line or get told by breeders that a Cockapoo or any other poodle cross for that matter will be hypoallergenic because it just isn't true.
As a cross breed coats are still fairly unpredictable, some moult, some do not, some will have a thicker cocker type coat and therefore more likely to produce higher levels of dander, which is what many people are allergic to. There is no hard and fast rule regarding Cockapoo coats.
You or your family member may be fine with a puppy but react when the adult coat comes in. You may be fine with some cockapoos and not others. It may not only be the coat that causes reactions, saliver and scratches also do this. Having a puppy will involve lots of these things so bear it in mind.

I have both eczema and asthma in my family, we used to have a greyhound and we dealt with flare ups if and when they happened. I knew we could manage it. So when searching for a new dog I knew a Cockapoo MAY not irritate previous conditions but it certainly wasn't an absolute nessesity for the dog to be ' hypoallergenic' it was going to be a bonus if symptoms lessened but it wasn't a deal breaker.

So please please please consider the puppy/ dog in your decision making. Having to move them on because of an already existing allergy just isn't fair. If you know you wouldnt be able to keep your dog IF a family member reacts to them then I would urge you to err on the side of caution and not buy a puppy. It will save a lot of heart break for everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 05:00 PM
(Nikki)
Adult Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Enthusiast
Cockapoo Age(s): 3
Karma Points: 10
Lilies is on a distinguished road

i found a lady with a puppy i could spend time with in an intense situation, ie the car, to see if i reacted, i was fine. Then the lady who owned teh stud poodle arranged for me to meet an older cockapoo which i again spenttime with in a confined space - front section of our campervan in this case - one hour later still no wheeziness.... from there on in i realised i should be ok , but made sure it was one of this poodles progeny as the liklihood was something similar to what i had sat with.
One definitely cant buy on the offchance
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lilies For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 05:35 PM
(Lee)
Adult Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Enthusiast
Favorite Cockapoo Name: murphy
Cockapoo Age(s): puppy
Karma Points: 13
crazy lady is on a distinguished road

i agree- and it really annoys me when i see some people advertising cockapoos and other poodle crosses as "good for allergy sufferers", not fair on the dog or the perspective buyers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crazy lady For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2012, 04:44 AM
(Karen)
Super Moderator

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Cockapoo Age(s): 4 years.
Karma Points: 102
wellerfeller will become famous soon enoughwellerfeller will become famous soon enough

Thing is, you may very well find a Cockapoo IS the dog for you as an allergy sufferer. I do know of people that have been able to have a Cockapoo but are allergic to all other dogs BUT it is not a definate.
I just think lots of people are being misled into thinking Cockapoo= hypoallergenic.
Unfortunately the dogs are soon moved on to who knows where when things don't work out.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Number of Cockapoos: 2
Cockapoo Age(s): 2, 2
Karma Points: 37
Sezra is on a distinguished road

I agree! I went for Cockapoos because of having allergies myself and thankfully my two don't moult and I am fine with them. However no dog is hypo-allergenic and should never be sold as such. It is not only their coat and dander but also what a dog brings into the house on its coat can trigger allergies. A dog's coat (especially long haired or curly coated) can hold/collect pollen, seeds, dust and spores and these can also effect allergy sufferers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sezra For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2012, 07:48 PM
(Julie)
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Cockapoo Age(s): 1
Karma Points: 64
MillieDog will become famous soon enough

Totally agree. A good way to 'test' to see if a family member has an allergy reaction is to contact the breeder and discuss your concerns. A good breeder will offer you a piece of material with all the cockapoo hairs etc on it. You can then live with the piece of material and it will help you see how things pan out.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Enthusiast
Karma Points: 44
Mogdog is on a distinguished road

The definition of "hypo allergenic" is "less likely to cause an allergic reaction" .... "hypo" means "less than", not "none at all".

So I would say a cockapoo is a hypo allergenic dog. I agree there are no guarantees though, and if you suffer allergies you should arrange to spend time, ideally indoors, with a cockapoo. My son, who has asthma and eczema, buried his face in the fur of a friend's cockapoo and was in the same room for about an hour ..... no reaction at all which was amazing to see.

We have 2 cockapoos now. One with a poodly coat which is non-shed, the other with a loose wavy coat that sheds a little, and he is fine with both.

It would probably be possible to find a breeder or someone via a club who has a cockapoo to test for allergy, rather than leaving it to luck.

S x
The Following User Says Thank You to Mogdog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Favorite Cockapoo Name: Jasper
Karma Points: 12
JasperBlack is on a distinguished road

If anything it is the allergens on the coat that flare me up! So the fact the coat is hypo allergenic is of no use to me! I will just take precautions in summer such as dampening his coat before I brush him, a water sprayer was one of the first things I bought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 PM
(Marilyn)
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Enthusiast
Number of Cockapoos: 2
Favorite Cockapoo Name: Max & Pheobe
Cockapoo Age(s): 1.5 & 12 weeks
Karma Points: 36
Cat 53 is on a distinguished road

Jasperblack, try and get some Bowen Therapy now. You may find your allergies are no longer a problem. My daughter had awful hay fever and was unable to eat raw fruit and veg (her throat would itch and feel swollen) and anti histimines didnt help. since having Bowen treatment she spends time out doors mows the lawn and has enjoyed salads and summer fruits for the first time in 19 years. As a therapist I would advise you to get treatment now whilst allergens are low.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Favorite Cockapoo Name: Jasper
Karma Points: 12
JasperBlack is on a distinguished road

What's Bowen therapy? X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk