Your Cockapoo's Health

Cockapoo Breeding

Training and Bonding

Cockapoo Grooming

Chit Chat

Cockapoo Meets

Site Discussion

Notices

The Puppy Place Bringing home a new cockapoo puppy? Ask your questions here.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Senior Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Number of Cockapoos: 1
Favorite Cockapoo Name: Noodle
Cockapoo Age(s): 1 year
Karma Points: 18
Woo is on a distinguished road
Default Am I expecting too much?

Hi,

Am I expecting too much of noodle?
She is really good with all her commands in doors and outside. She will come, sit, stay, wait etc, my problem is that on lead walks she will chase leaves, stop and stare at people, sniff everything. She will trot alongside me nicely some off the time and then other times pull like mad, we have had some lead training with a 1 to 1 session and we start puppy classes on monday. I have to get her walking to heal or my partner won't be able to walk her, he walks with a stick and has breathing problems, she can't pull him all over the place.
Am I at 15 weeks old expecting too much of her to walk nicely?
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Karma Points: 20
Duckdog is on a distinguished road

She sounds like she is doing amazingly!! Binky does all the things noodle does...she only walks to heal if I constantly say 'good walk' and have liver in my hand!! It is an exciting world out there and she wants to sniff EVERYTHING!

Like all things with pups it will come with time. Keep going sounds like you are doing a cracking job
Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 AM
(Tess)
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Number of Cockapoos: 2
Favorite Cockapoo Name: Dexter/Bonnie
Karma Points: 35
tessybear is on a distinguished road

I am afraid mine pull like mad on their leads and never learnt to heel properly in the intermediate obedience class! I was never that bothered as all their walking is off lead.Try a harness, mine never pull on their harnesses so if I ever take them out on a lead I use a harness.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 PM
(Karen)
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Number of Cockapoos: 3
Cockapoo Age(s): 6,3, 1/4
Karma Points: 84
wilfiboy will become famous soon enough

Mable nearly kills me .... She was top of the class in puppy class at lead walking ... But outside she's so eager to set off, to stop and sniff she crosses in front of you and then back again,how I haven't injured myselfor her I don't know. Then poor Wilf either gets dragged cos on the move r has to wait while she's stopped I'm often looking like a star jump type pose with a Cockapoo at each end ..... Much easier to go off lead x

Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM
(Jane)
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Karma Points: 47
Janev1000 is on a distinguished road

Honey never walks nicely on lead! Thankfully we do mostly off lead walks but she would be a nightmare to train otherwise.....it's definitely the working dog in her and she sniffs everything too. She literally darts all over the place. Biscuit was easier to train, although not perfect, but will still pull like mad if he sees a cat or fox, etc. It sounds like Noodle would be much easier to train if she is already walking nicely at times. It takes a lot of training and time and she's probably too young to be doing it perfectly just yet. x

Old 11-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Adult Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Karma Points: 10
BeckyP is on a distinguished road

I'd like to crack it too. Kipper is 5 months now and doing a lot better. Our trainer said to try to do heel work on the way home on a walk, rather than when he's super excited and bound to fail. He can do it and we are seeing real progress, but he's also quite prone to try and jump into the road in front of an oncoming car to catch a leaf.... hopefully by next autumn he'll have caught enough leaves to know it's not worth it!!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 PM
(Clare)
Senior Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Enthusiast
Favorite Cockapoo Name: Malie
Cockapoo Age(s): 6 months
Karma Points: 29
Chumphreys is on a distinguished road

Malie at 15 weeks is a bit hit and miss.She will either trot along nicely behind me or dart left and right infront of me.We have also found that if we take her out for her evening walk she almost can't be bothered and we have to drag her along.We have just started lead training and our trainer suggests holding the lead in our left hand,having the dog on your left just behind your leg and everytime they stay there you shout yes and throw a treat using your left hand behind your back at them.She said never feed them a treat across infront of you.I practised today and Malie did really well.By the end of our walk she was behind me all of the way.Like others have said,it is quite difficult for us to be consistent as most of our walk is off lead.
XClare
Old 11-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Adult Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Enthusiast
Karma Points: 10
benson is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woo View Post
Hi,

Am I expecting too much of noodle?
She is really good with all her commands in doors and outside. She will come, sit, stay, wait etc, my problem is that on lead walks she will chase leaves, stop and stare at people, sniff everything. She will trot alongside me nicely some off the time and then other times pull like mad, we have had some lead training with a 1 to 1 session and we start puppy classes on monday. I have to get her walking to heal or my partner won't be able to walk her, he walks with a stick and has breathing problems, she can't pull him all over the place.
Am I at 15 weeks old expecting too much of her to walk nicely?
Benson is not far off 6 months old and is still a bit of a nightmare walking on the lead, my OH takes him as I like your partner have breathing problems, I invested in a mobility scooter so I could take my turn in walking him, still in shed until we can get him to walk nicely on lead, he spends more time on his hind legs than on all fours whilst on lead,!!! So Noodle is doing really well as Benson doesnt obey any command let alone stay and wait!!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:46 PM
(Karen)
Senior Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Favorite Cockapoo Name: Coco
Karma Points: 14
KCsunshine is on a distinguished road

I think what Becky said makes alot of sense. Coco is great off lead. But getting to the place where we walk her off lead is on the lead (does that make sense, lol) On the lead she pulls, stops, sniffs, all the things noodle does, on the way home, she always walks a bit better on the lead as it's not so exciting on the way back, that is where she gets all her praise etc.

Noodle sounds like she is doing fantastically! Well done you x
Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 PM
(Julie)
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Cockapoo Age(s): 1
Karma Points: 64
MillieDog will become famous soon enough

Millie is a bit 50/50 with pulling on lead and walking beautifully next to me. It does improve over time, but I think its probably the last thing that really gets right.

One trick your partner can use when he wants Noodle to pay attention to him and walk nicely, is to offer a treat early on for walking to heel and then to hold a treat in his hand. You can extend the heel walking this way. Intermingle it with lots of praise and stretch out the treat giving. You never know, you will probably find that Noodle will walk well for your partner and pull for you