Your Cockapoo's Health

Cockapoo Breeding

Training and Bonding

Cockapoo Grooming

Chit Chat

Cockapoo Meets

Site Discussion

Notices

Cockapoo Training and Bonding Cockapoos are very smart and loving dogs. Discuss training techniques as well as bonding here.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 PM
(Paul)
Young Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Number of Cockapoos: 1
Favorite Cockapoo Name: Bailey
Karma Points: 10
pauleady is on a distinguished road
Default Barking At Other Dogs

Bailey gets extremely excited when he sees another dog whilst we're out walking. As he's still relatively young he thinks that every dog wants to play with him.

The problem is that he will bark at every dog he sees as well as lunging for them (in a playful way). I don't know how to stop this barking and it is extremely embarassing as it looks like I have absolutely no control over him (which at that moment I don't) but he is as good as gold once they have gone!

I have tried the noisy spray cans, but they only stop him for a few seconds.

Does anybody else have this problem or know what I can do?

Old 10-25-2012, 12:14 PM
(Colin)
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Number of Cockapoos: 2!!!
Favorite Cockapoo Name: Betty and Ted
Cockapoo Age(s): 18 and 9 Months
Karma Points: 68
colpa110 will become famous soon enough

Is he on or off lead ( or both) when this happens?? I have a similar problem, my trainer suggests keeping them on the lead and keeping their attention on you when walking past other dogs until they get used to it. This may mean dangling a food treat or favourite toy in front of his nose etc..
My trainer believes that if you can truly get you dog to focus on you then all
other dog related problems ( ie recall, lead pulling, barking at dogs etc.. will be solved). She is an ex crufts obedience champion and it's amazing to see how her dogs wait for her every command.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM
(karen)
Adult Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Enthusiast
Number of Cockapoos: 3
Favorite Cockapoo Name: eden/willow/
karen pearce is on a distinguished road

willow is bad,she gets excited the minute we are out the gate,so barks,i turn around and take a few steps,then start again. she also lunges,and barks at other dogs.when off lead she dosnt take any notice of them,as shes to busy with her ball. i find when she barks at another dog if i turn her to me and treat her it stops her a bit. its all patience and perseverance,and may take a bit of time.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:01 AM
(Maggie)
Cockapoo Puppy

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Cockapoo Age(s): 1
Maggie's Cinta is on a distinguished road

I totally understand what you are going through, Paul. Cinta is 13 months old and he does the same - barking (sometimes high pitch whining) and pulling when he sees another dog on our walk. Yes, at the very moment, it is very embarrassing and does look like we have an out of control dog! I am doing to "focus on me" thing but it's not working very well because Cinta is a very persistent little fellow. So I am going to have to be patient and consistent, hopefully he will grow out of it someday.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:42 AM
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Favorite Cockapoo Name: Dot
Karma Points: 51
Marzi will become famous soon enough

Kiki has just started doing this - it is definitely excitement rather than aggression, but even so....
The advice from Colin is spot on... also your dog will stop barking if you can stop them eyeballing the other dog.... bit of liver cake on your dog's nose and before you let them eat it, bring the treat in to you ... bending down a bit say 'oh, watch me watch me watch me' (squeaky voice is good, although sounds a bit daft...) move the treat towards your one nose and back and repeat and let your dog have it...
Have another treat immediately handy and repeat as above, maybe asking your dog for a sit if they haven't already sat anticipating more yummyness!
Initially the amount that you can move the treat towards your own nose will be small, but build it up. If it is not immediately obvious the reason for moving the treat towards your nose is to encourage your dog to look up at your eyes - ie they are watching you, intently, not the other dog...
If you don't have a treat and your dog starts barking, immediately spin round and walk briskly in the other direction, not stopping to allow your dog to look round at the other dog and continue barking, as soon as your dog stops barking praise him and turn again to the direction you were walking, but repeat if he insists on barking again.... when you turn and he turns with you, then he cannot eyeball the other dog and he will stop barking...

It helps if you spot the other dog first and can start keying your dog to watch you before it gets too close, that way you avoid the barking starting in hte first place or can be very quick to interrupt it..
Once the habit is established it is much more difficult to stop!!!

Old 11-19-2012, 02:24 AM
Adult Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Enthusiast
Karma Points: 14
Lolasmummy is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem. So glad you put this thread on...I shall have a go!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 AM
Senior Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Enthusiast
TraceyT33 is on a distinguished road

I have the same with Millie.... she makes all types of noises when she sees another dog getting close... she just wants to play and if I let her off (which I have done a few times) she continues barking at the dog she is chasing/playing with for ages.... its funny but embarassing too. She even barks/yelps if a dog (mainly one bigger than herself) comes close. I have just finished training but I think I need to find another trainer and continue with it..... great thread so thank you. xxx (I was thinking it was only Millie) x
Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 AM
(Dawn)
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Owner
Favorite Cockapoo Name: Dudley
Cockapoo Age(s): 2 yrs
Karma Points: 61
DB1 will become famous soon enough

Dudley used to do this all the time in the street but less so now - he always goes bonkers when he see's a dog when he is in the car though, I've recently got a book about barking - one thing it does say which I think is our case - is that when they play with other dogs each time they see them they will of course get very excited, I used to let Dudley say hello to all the other dogs as it was cute, but he has improved since I sometimes now say walk on and walk straight passed, unless the owner obviously wants to stop. The book did suggest finding someone else with a dog to walk with occasionally so your dog gets used to being near them without playing - I guess its not a surprise that Dudley gets over excited when we often go to the park in the car, then he has a mad play with other dogs there. We haven't been to training classes for a while, going back to those will help as well I'm sure.