Your Cockapoo's Health

Cockapoo Breeding

Training and Bonding

Cockapoo Grooming

Chit Chat

Cockapoo Meets

Site Discussion

Notices

Chit-Chat Talk about anything here! Keep it clean.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Cockapoo Puppy

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Enthusiast
Karma Points: 10
F_T_D_O_1930 is on a distinguished road
Default Help.

Hello. I Am a first time dog owner, and I wanted to get a Cockapoo. But wanted help on a question I was stuck on. I have anxiety and was told that getting a dog would be helpful. I also heard that Cockapoos were good, but still wondered. Are Cockapoos good for people with anxiety? Iíve heard that the can be but it can be harmful to the dog. is this true or can they help? Is it a good idea to get a puppy or an adult one for my situation? I wanted to hear from someone with this breed is possible. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Enthusiast
Number of Cockapoos: 1
Favorite Cockapoo Name: Rufus
Cockapoo Age(s): 5
Karma Points: 67
fairlie will become famous soon enough

It's not the anxiety that would give me pause, it's the first time dog owner thing. Some cockapoos can be full on and quite a challenge at first. If you are super outdoorsy, active, love hiking and have lots of time to spend at dog schools and training with new friends then I'd say go for it, because all of that will help with your anxiety. If you are more sedentary, a loner or have social anxiety I'd go for a more laid back dog, maybe a nice mutt or Basset hound?
The Following User Says Thank You to fairlie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Young Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Enthusiast
Cockapoo Age(s): 6 months
Karma Points: 10
Gaynor59 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I suffer with anxiety and I feel having my cockerpoo puppy has helped me, I need to be focused on him and don't have as much time to stress about things, I never used to feel like getting up in the morning and would lie in bed thinking about the day ahead. Not any more, I need to be up and motivated, just to see him overjoyed to see me makes everything worth while

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaynor59 For This Useful Post:

Old 05-10-2017, 02:10 AM
Veteran Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Enthusiast
Number of Cockapoos: 1
Favorite Cockapoo Name: Molly
Cockapoo Age(s): 6
Karma Points: 55
2ndhandgal will become famous soon enough

Anxiety covers a multitude of things. Any pup will wee and poo in your house, chew your belongings, mouth you at times, wake you in the night and need hours spent on training them to become he well behaved member of society that you want them to be so you need to be prepared for all of this and most owners go through the "what have I done" syndrome at this time as it seems like like will never be normal again - but - they also provide snuggles and love and can be your very best friend if you can put in all the work and cope with all the initial turmoil they will cause.

They are sociable dogs and do require plenty of exercise so you need to be prepared for this for life too - and as a first time owner I would definitely recommend puppy classes to help you settle in together
The Following User Says Thank You to 2ndhandgal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 11:18 AM
Adult Cockapoo

Cockapoo Information
Cockapoo Enthusiast
Cockapoo Age(s): 8 months
Karma Points: 13
Miss Lilly is on a distinguished road

I think much depends on the temperament/personality of your pup (regardless of breed). My cockaoddpoo (that's not a typo!) is a fearful, anxious and nervous little thing so wouldn't be at all right for someone with their own issues I think as she very much looks for guidance in situations that worry her (obviously everyone gets anxious at times but its a matter of degree I guess). Her own issues also caused her to become very reactive towards other dogs and people at one point and this in itself is a highly stressful behaviour to have to deal with.

If the generic cockapoo characteristics appeal to you / are a good fit with you then personally I would suggest finding a really, really good breeder, being honest about your own issues and letting them help you to choose the right pup for you: they will have lived with the pups for 8 weeks by the time yours comes home to live with you and will know whether they are confident / shy etc. I would also suggest enrolling in puppy class and continuing with training even beyond this. I believe that (positive reward based) training helps to create an amazing bond between owner and dog and that training together can be really helpful for an owners mental health needs too!

Unread 11-21-2025, 08:09 AM
.. I had fun reading those .... Breebella just

Cockapoo Information
None
goes by Bree I guess im boring a

Reply With Quote Moderated Post