I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

Walking a Puppy

27K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Enneirda. 
#1 ·
Hi everybody

Just wondered if anybody can give me guidance on how much we should walk our 12 week old cockapoo? I have heard that you should not walk them too much as it affects their growth but we want to give him enough exercise. How much is enough (bearing in mind the amount of time he spends sitting and watching his new surroundings!)

Thanks
Sarah

#2 ·
I think as a rule of thumb its 5 mins for every four weeks. Therefore at 12 weeks its 15 mins. However, Cockapoos are small and energetic, be guided by Alfie. If he starts to lag behind, or slows down, he's definitely tired.

Enjoy talking him out. Are you going to let him off the lead straight away? I did, it was the best advice I ever had. :D

#4 ·
Hi Sarah

Our cockapoo, Bonnie goes for 15 minutes a day, which was suggested to us by our trainer. I was surprised it was so little but as Julie mentioned a general rule is 5 minutes per 4 weeks of age. Not sure how long you increase things for??

The trainer also said to find a big, safe open space and let her off the lead, which we did last week for the first time....My daughter came with me to our local park...and we were both really worried to let her 'be free', but Bonnie was fine. She sniffed around for a bit but didnt stray too far at all. We had our pockets stuffed with treats to encourage her back to us. It was such a joy to see her choose to stay with us! Go for it. You will feel so pleased once you've done it. Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

#5 ·
15 minutes only would of killed me when 'Lo was young. I'd walk with her and D as long as she was still playful. Usually that was 1/2 to 3/4 mile (at around 12 weeks) but me and D, being used to going two miles at least, let her go as far as she'd like. She'd get several off leash runs through the day as well. And if she wanted to do something, she could in general. Only think I wouldn't do was let her sprint on hard roads for long.

And she was, and still is, small for the breed. She's 14 inches tall and 13 pounds, a larger dog should be able to do more. And she's fine and healthy at three years. ;)

#9 ·
Hi everybody

Thanks for the replies Well we went to our first puppy training class this morning and actually he was very good on the recall - as good as the other dogs who have been going for a few months and definitely better than the other new puppies so we are feeling more confident. We may take him out later and try again - the trainer said the same as you guys - the earlier we do it the better.

Only problem is he did roll in fox poo :eek::eek: He stinks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.